1890 A one-room gallery of paintings by local artists in University Hall, University of Deseret (current site of West High School).
1914 Art donated by local artists installed on the fourth floor of the John R. Park Building. Known as the Art Gallery of the University of Utah.
1926 Local businessman Edward Bartlett Wicks donates a collection of 75 paintings by American and European artists, including Albert Bierstadt, Eanger Irving Couse, Charles-Franois Daubigny and Adolf Schreyer. Artist J.T. Harwood is the gallery's first curator.
1930-40 No important growth, remaining largely undeveloped.
1947 Utah native Winifred Kimball Hudnut donates art from her estate, including French furniture, Chinese jades, European paintings and handwoven tapestries. All art moved to Park Building's top floor, which is officially registered as a "museum."
1951 Renovation of Park Building. I. Owen Horsfall becomes the museum's first director. He holds the position until 1964.
1952 Mr. and Mrs. L. Boyd Hatch donate a collection of 15th and 16th century English, French and Italian furniture. (Other early donors are Mrs. Hortense Odlum and Marion Sharp Robinson.)
1954 Edwin M. Otterbourg donates a collection of English etchings. Natacha Rambova (wife of screen star Rudolph Valentino) donates her extensive collection of Egyptian antiquities. Horsfall displays Renaissance paintings and prints. Artist and teacher Alvin Gittins organizes and shows the First Annual Utah Artist Invitational Exhibition featuring works of 35 artists.
mid-1950s Museum exhibits nationally circulating shows from the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the American Federation of Arts.
1955 Eleven thousand people visit the museum. Many are schoolchildren from around the state as part of Mrs. Clinton Hale's art-education program.
1961 Early Christian Art from Egypt and the Babcock Collection of Chinese Art are displayed, as well as "Artists of the Western Frontier," featuring paintings by Charles M. Russell, Bierstadt and Frederic Remington. Later that year, important drawings of abstract expressionists such as Hans Hoffman and Willem de Kooning are exhibited.
Early-1960s Modernist art from the Guggenheim Museum, New York, is displayed. Also, ceramics by Picasso and etchings by Whistler.
1965 Museum is recognized as the aristocrat of galleries in Salt Lake City. It outgrows space in Park Building and a search begins for a new location. Museum is put under the auspices of the College of Fine Art.
1967 E. Frank Sanguinetti is hired as the museum's fourth director.
1968 Sanguinetti's first exhibit is a retrospective of Arthur B. Davies, followed by a show of Russian theater set designs. A retrospective of California artist Wayne Thiebaud is also presented. Foundation for new building is poured.
1969 Retrospective of early American modernist John Marin. Sanguinetti helps establish museum's goal of collecting, preserving and interpreting art from all over the world.
1970 Old museum closes and all the artifacts are moved to the new Utah Museum of Fine Arts southeast of the Marriott Library.
1971 New UMFA dedicated.
1972 New UMFA receives accreditation from the American Association of Museums.
1976 A new wing is added to the UMFA, whose collection has grown to more than 15,000 pieces.
1988 Plans for a new art museum, with twice the space, begin. Sanguinetti starts the search for donations and endowments.
1998 Construction begins on newly designed UMFA.
2000 Construction is completed, and workers start moving the art collection to new location.
June 2, 2001 Opening of new UMFA. First exhibition is "Rodin: Sculpture from the Iris and B. Gerald Cantor Collection," which includes the famous works "The Thinker" and "The Kiss."