Quick reaction saved a Salt Lake County family from tragedy Tuesday after a home caught fire with three children inside.

Firefighters from Salt Lake County and Sandy were called to the residence of Brett and Bonne Pearce, 8658 S. Tracy, shortly after 5 p.m. By the time they arrived, Betty Taylor, a sister of Mrs. Pearce, had rescued the 5-year-old and 3-month-old Pearce children and the couple's 4-month-old nephew from the blaze."My sister saved the babies' lives," said a crying Mrs. Pearce as she watched from a neighbor's yard while firefighters cleaned up. "It's an expensive loss, but we're just thankful that no one was hurt."

The fire began in the north section of the brown brick home while Taylor was baby-sitting the three children. After leading the older child to the front door, she re-entered the structure and ran through the flame-engulfed hallway to a bedroom where the infants were sleeping. Taylor escaped with the children through a back window.

Damage to the home was estimated at $45,000 and to the contents at an additional $25,000. "The bedrooms are untouched, but everything else from the north side of the hallway is gone," said County Battalion Chief Jack R. Shields.

The fire was brought under control in less than 30 minutes. The lone casualty was the family dog.