Rendell Noel Mabey, a man of action and great faith, died in Salt Lake City, November 8, 2000. He was 92.

Born in Bountiful, Utah, August 8, 1908, to Charles Rendell and Afton Amanda Rampton Mabey, Rendell was the eldest of four sons. His parents died be-fore he died as did each of his brothers: Charles Pace, Robert Burns and Edward Milo Mabey.

Like his father and grandfather, Ren found his nourish-ment in Bountiful's wholesome soil, mingling with her solid citizens, thinning row crops, fishing in Stone Creek and hunting on Sessions Mountain. His father, a war veteran and a mayor of Bountiful, was elected governor in 1920 and two years later the family moved to Salt Lake City; Ren did not move back to Bountiful until 1950.

A childhood victim of a life-threatening obstruction in his jugular vein, Ren was slow in graduating from East High School. In 1929 he gave up his desire to enter a military academy and interrupted his education at the University of Utah to serve three years as a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Germany and Austria.

Following his mission, Ren returned to the University where he met and immediately fell in love with Rachel Ivins Wilson. They were married in the Salt Lake Temple on Christmas Eve 1933. Their life together, he said, "has flooded over with pleasure, spirituality, contentment, cheerful casualness, goal setting, wishing, hoping and success, but mixed with more than a dash of very hard work, prayer, determination, perseverance and some hardship."

Rachel and each of their six children, save John Ivins, survive him: Rendell Noel Jr. (Dorothy), Richard Ivins, Jane Afton, Ralph Rampton (Sylvia) and Thomas Charles (Louise). They have ten grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.

Ren was graduated from law school at the University of Utah in 1934 and practiced law for 51 years, serving as Bountiful's attorney for 26 years, as senior partner of Fabian, Clendenin, Moffat and Mabey, and as a sole practitioner.

His soul stirred by public spirit, and after repeatedly being refused for service in World War II on health and marital grounds, Ren entered politics. He served as Utah's Speaker of the House in 1947-48 and as Utah's Senate Majority Floor Leader in 1953. He sought the governorship in 1948 and 1956 and was defeated.

Calling his defeats the best thing that ever happened to him, Ren turned his energy to the business world where he helped organize banks, insurance companies and shopping centers; to the world of adventure, visiting the North Pole, Antarctica, and every continent in between; to the world of nature, chairing the board of Tracy Aviary, acting as president of the Utah Pheasant Society, breeding dozens of varieties of waterfowl and pheasants, nursing wild waterfowl to health under a federal permit, and hunting and fishing worldwide; to the world of public service, acting as a regent of the University of Utah, as chair of the board of trustees of Weber State College, as president of the Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, as Utah president of the American Cancer Society and as district governor of Lions International; to the beautiful world of Star Valley, Wyoming, where he developed the Bar M Ranch in Auburn and dozens of fast friends; and, foremost, to the world of God.

Ren served as bishop of the Bountiful 17th ward, twice as president of the Bountiful East Stake, as regional representative of the Twelve, and as patriarch. With Rachel he served (1965-68) as president of the Swiss Mission which then included many countries. During this tenure, they helped establish the mission in Italy and labored in Lebanon (before and after the Six Day War), Poland, Crete, Kuwait, Afghanistan, Iraq, and elsewhere. In 1978-79, with Edwin and Janath Cannon, they opened Ghana and Nigeria to missionary work, securing the Church's legal presence, baptizing many and establishing many branches of the Church.

Ren remained very active. At the age of 90, he published two books, More Days of My Life and An African Legacy. More recently as his health failed, he relished the prospect of the next life.

Funeral services will be held Monday, Nov. 13, 2000, at 11 a.m. in the Eagle Gate Stake Center, 135 North (2d Ave.) and "A" Street, Salt Lake City. Friends may call Sunday evening, November 12, from 7 to 9 p.m., at the Larkin Mortuary, 260 East South Temple St., Salt Lake City, and on Monday morning from 9:45 to 10:45 a.m. at the stake center.

The family gives heartfelt thanks to Dr. Robert Fowles and the skilled and compassionate caregivers of the Marriott Brighton Gardens. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to LDS Humanitarian Services, the General Missionary Fund of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints or the Nature Conservancy.