Kent Kowallis
A Utah fire department says a blaze that destroyed a home and displaced five people was started by the spontaneous combustion of a can of oil.

CEDAR CITY — A Utah fire department says a blaze that destroyed a home and displaced five people was started by the spontaneous combustion of a can of oil.

The Spectrum of St. George reports (http://bit.ly/2bOm2Q2 ) that officials say Rick Smith's Cedar City house was fully engulfed in flames by the time firefighters arrived Saturday evening.

Cedar City Fire Chief Mike Phillips says the fire was caused by spontaneous combustion after a can of refinish oil was left on the back deck of the home. He says the fire pushed into the attic before completely taking over the home.

No one was inside the home but Phillips estimates that the fire caused more than $500,000 in damage.

The American Red Cross is helping the family.

Information from: The Spectrum, http://www.thespectrum.com