Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHY COUNTERFEITING IS THRIVING IN CHINA
AP's Erika Kinetz finds that major multinational companies unwittingly paid investigators who themselves manufactured or sold fake goods.
2. MOSCOW APPEARS TO BE DRIVING SYRIA TALKS
Nations meeting in New York and the U.N. will essentially be negotiating a Russian plan for a "political transition" to end the civil war.
3. WHO'S ON THE ROAD TO CANONIZATION
Pope Francis signs off on the miracle needed to make Mother Teresa a saint, giving the nun who made the poor her life's mission one of the Catholic Church's highest honors.
4. GUN BUYER MUSED ON FACEBOOK OF TROUBLES HE FACED
Less than a month before his friend carried out the San Bernardino massacre, Enrique Marquez Jr. wondered when the multiple lives he was leading would come crashing down.
5. PHARMA'S 'VILLAIN' FACES RECKONING
Martin Shkreli is the enfant terrible of pharmaceuticals, a millionaire music fan, an unabashed self-promoter and now a defendant in a fraud case.
6. CONGRESS POISED TO SEND BUDGET DEAL TO OBAMA
The massive spending package would shower tax breaks on working families, businesses and a wide swath of special interests.
7. WOMEN OUT-EARNING MEN IN CORPORATE FINANCE
Compensation for female chief financial officers at S&P 500 companies last year outpaced that of their male counterparts, according to an analysis by Equilar and the AP.
8. WHAT COURTSIDE COLLISION MAY PROMPT NBA TO DO
LeBron James crashes into and injures the wife of PGA champion Jason Day, and that could prompt the league to take a look at fan safety.
9. 'STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS' THRILLS FANS, SETS RECORDS
The most anticipated film in the galaxy opens globally, setting international and pre-sale box-office records and delighting moviegoers.
10. RAMS BEAT BUCCANEERS IN POSSIBLE FINAL GAME IN ST. LOUIS
Tavon Austin scores twice, Todd Gurley tops 1,000 yards rushing for the season and the Rams beat Tampa Bay 31-23 as the franchise considers a move to Los Angeles.