1 of 3
Noah Berger, Associated Press
A firefighter works to extinguish a blaze ignited by protesters and spanning four lanes of Telegraph Avenue in Oakland, Calif., on Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2014, a day after the announcement that a grand jury decided not to indict Ferguson police officer Darren Wilson in the fatal shooting of Michael Brown. Protesters briefly shut down two major freeways, vandalized police cars and looted businesses in downtown Oakland, smashing windows at cell phone stores, car dealerships, restaurants and convenience stores on a second night of protests.

OAKLAND, Calif. — A third night of demonstrations in Oakland stemming from a grand jury decision in Ferguson, Missouri, against indicting a police officer deteriorated into vandalism and led to 35 arrests, police said.

The arrests came late Wednesday following a march by about 100 people through Oakland streets, police spokeswoman Johnna Watson said.

Small groups moved through the streets, with some protesters breaking windows, including several at the downtown Oakland Tribune newspaper building.

Nearby, an estimated 200 people spun their cars in circles at the Port of Oakland, KNTV reported (http://bit.ly/1ymceVf).

California Highway Patrol Officer Sean Wilkenfeld said about 100 cars were involved. He did not have information on arrests.

Gunshots were heard at the scene, but no injuries were reported, he said.

Most of the protesters dispersed before midnight.

Earlier in the week, demonstrators vandalized Oakland businesses and blocked freeways to protest the decision not to indict Officer Darren Wilson, who is white, in the Aug. 9 fatal shooting of 18-year-old Michael Brown, who was black.

In the three days of protests, police on Oakland have arrested 167 people and there could be more arrests after police review video and pictures of the unrest, Watson said.

In Los Angeles, as many as 300 largely peaceful demonstrators crisscrossed downtown streets for several hours Wednesday afternoon and evening.

Some of the protesters were stopped by a phalanx of riot-clad police near the Central Library. There were 145 arrests, the Los Angeles Times reported.

Police Lt. Andy Neiman said an unlawful assembly was declared after some marchers began walking in the street and disrupting traffic.