1 of 6
Eugene Tanner, AP
Purdue guard Jon Octeus, left, and BYU guard Kyle Collinsworth (5) attempt to control a loose ball in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game at the Maui Invitational on Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2014, in Lahaina, Hawaii. (AP Photo/Eugene Tanner)

LAHAINA, Hawaii — With the final seconds ticking off the clock, and the game tied at 81, BYU put the ball in the hands of the man they wanted to take the potential game-winner against Purdue — star guard Tyler Haws, who had already poured in 32 points.

Haws made his move, rose up, and his 17-footer from the baseline fell short as the buzzer sounded.

And with that, the Cougars found themselves in another overtime situation.

In the extra period, Boilermaker center A.J. Hammons knocked down a jumper in the paint with 1.9 seconds remaining to lift Purdue to a dramatic 87-85 victory over BYU at the Lahaina Civic Center.

No, overtime games weren’t kind to the Cougars (4-2) in the Maui Invitational.

First, there was the double overtime setback to No. 15 San Diego State on Monday. Then came Wednesday’s painful result.

“I think our guys all left it out there,” said coach Dave Rose. “We just didn't have enough to get the win.”

Just like BYU’s double-overtime setback to No. 15 San Diego State on Monday, the Cougars, who finished sixth in the tournament, had their chances to earn a big non-conference win, but they couldn’t get it done.

Purdue improved to 5-1 on the season.

BYU trailed by as many as eight points in the first half, but kept things close throughout. The Cougars had trouble with Purdue freshman forward Vince Edwards, who scored 25 points and hit three 3-pointers.

Early in the second half, BYU put together a 13-4 run, capped by a Kyle Collinsworth rebound and pass to Haws for a layup, that saw it take a 52-49 lead with 14 minutes remaining.

From there, the two teams traded leads in a back-and-forth affair. With 23 seconds remaining in regulation, and the score tied, BYU had the ball and called a timeout to set up a play for Haws.

“We’ve seen Ty make that shot many times,” Rose said. “He'll get it again, and he'll shoot it again, and next time hopefully it goes in. He read that thing perfectly, and they jumped out on that ball screen, and he refused it, and went to the baseline and shot in good rhythm. Maybe could have shot it a little bit earlier with what we talked about in the timeout. We'd have a chance to get an offensive rebound if we had a miss, but it was a clean look, good shot.”

Purdue was relieved when the shot hit the rim.

“I was praying that (the ball) wasn't going to him. In my mind I was like, No, I'm not giving it any chance,” Edwards said. “And the basketball gods were on our side, and we were fortunate enough that Tyler Haws, a great player, he just came up short. So we were very thankful for that. We knew once we went into overtime, we had to have it. We had to get the win. It fell short, we came out strong and executed in the end.”

Purdue guard Raphael Davis, who scored 18 points, knew “a hundred percent” that Haws was going to take that shot.

“I don't think the other players wanted it. I mean, you could tell it was just spread out,” Davis said. “He got the ball out to the other side, and Jon (Octeus) got him out of rhythm. He made him shoot. Contested it. He fell down at the end, but he tried to contest it, so that's all we can ask for.”

In overtime, the Boilermakers had a chance to win the game after BYU’s Kyle Collinsworth hit two free throws with 14.4 seconds left.

Purdue got the ball to Hammons, who finished with 12 points.

“Only thought I had in my mind was pretty much just to get the shot up,” Hammons said.

BYU hosts Eastern Kentucky Saturday (7 p.m., MST, BYUtv).