Firefighters quickly contained a Tuesday afternoon storage shed blaze started by a 7-year-old boy playing with matches but not before the fire spread to the adjacent house.

The shed was fully engulfed in flames when firefighters were called out at 1:48 p.m. to the house at 7174 S. 1380 West, said Lt. Ron Larsen.The heat and flames from the burning shed ignited the siding on the house 10 to 12 feet to the east. Once the siding ignited, flames spread into the attic and damaged part of the roof and ceiling, Larsen said.

Damage has been estimated at $15,000, said Capt. Gary Whatcott.

The boy who started the fire told firefighters he tossed a burning piece of paper into the shed, Whatcott said.