CEDAR CITY — Alex Young scored 22 points and IUPUI transformed a three-point halftime deficit into a 13-point victory over Southern Utah, 66-53, on Saturday night.

IUPUI (11-16, 5-10 Summit League) captured the lead permanently, 38-37, on a layup by Stephen Thomas with 16:13 to play. The Jaguars keyed a 10-3 run three minutes later for a 52-42 lead with 7:28 remaining.

Southern Utah (13-13, 8-8), which led by as many as six in the first half, shot just 3 of 12 (25 percent) on 3-pointers. Jackson Stevenett led the Thunderbirds with 13 points and Ray Jones Jr. contributed 11 with five assists. Jones had seven assists in his last outing against Southern Utah, which was a 72-64 win for the Thunderbird.

Ian Chiles added 14 points for the Jaguars, who made it to the free-throw line 29 times, converting 23 of those opportunities for a 79.3 percent clip.

UTAH VALLEY 66, CHICAGO STATE 61: At Chicago, the Wolverines roared back from a 14-point second-half deficit behind 15 second-half points from Isiah Williams and 11 second-half points by Holton Hunsaker.

Williams, a Chicago native, went 0-of-10 from the first half, but went 5-of-8 from the field, including 3-of-5 from the 3-point line in the second half.

UVU (17-10, 7-0 GWC) entered the game with the nation's eighth-longest winning streak and have now won a school-record 10 straight games.

The Wolverines trailed by 12 at the half after shooting just 24.2 percent, but answered with 61.9 percent shooting from the field in the second half.

"Fortunately we fought through it," UVU head coach Dick Hunsaker said. "Everybody contributed in this game, especially in the second half."

Hunsaker led the Wolverines with 16 points, while Williams finished with 15. Ben Aird chipped in with 10 points and 11 rebounds. Chicago State's Matt Samuels led all scorers with 19 points.

For the second time this year, the Wolverines came back from a halftime deficit to beat the Cougars.

Utah Valley led only twice early in the game before Chicago State (3-22, 1-6) began pulling away.

Hunsaker gave the Wolverines a 5-3 lead with a 3-pointer with 18:08 to play in the half, and Geddes Robinson hit a jumper to give the Wolverines the 7-5 lead two minutes later.

After Utah Valley tied the game at nine, the Cougars went on a 6-0 run to lead 15-9 with 12:13 to go.

With 7:31 left the Cougars capped a 10-0 run to lead by 12.

The Wolverines answered with a modest 6-0 run on buckets by Aird, Hunsaker and Zach Jones to whittle the lead to six with 4:35 left, but that was as close as the Wolverines would get the rest of the half.

Chicago State ended the half with an 8-2 run to lead by 12 at the break at 35-23.

The Wolverines shot just 24.2 percent from the field, including just 3-of-15 from behind the arc, while Chicago State shot 55.2 percent.

Samuels led the Cougars with 11 points in the half, and Jeremy Robinson, the Great West Conference's leading scorer, added nine.

Alfonzo Hubbard came off the bench and led the Wolverines with eight points in the first half.

Chicago State took its halftime lead to a game-high 14 points with a bucket to open the half before Utah Valley began cutting away at the lead.

With his team trailing by 13 with 17:16 left, Williams drilled a 3-pointer to begin a 10-0 run to cut the lead to three at 41-38 with just under 15 minutes to play.

Two minutes later, Robinson converted a three-point play and the Wolverines were within two, 43-41.

The Wolverines finally tied the score at 43 with 11:13 left on a layup by Aird.

Robinson gave the Wolverines, who were on a 17-2 run, their first lead since early in the game with a layup to lead 45-43.

UVU upped its lead to three, 50-47, on a bucket by Williams with 7:33 left. UVU, which went on a 24-6 run, led by as many at five at 52-47 after a long 2-pointer by Williams.

Late in the game, the Wolverines led by as many as six points by hitting 9-of-12 foul shots in the final 1:11.

For the game, the Wolverines shot 38.9 percent from the field, while Chicago State shot 45.8 percent. The Wolverines connected on 17-of-21 foul shots, while Chicago State hit just 3-of-7.

The Wolverines return to the UCCU Center Monday night when they host Montana Tech. They will then have 10 days off before hosting Houston Baptist on Feb. 23 and Texas-Pan American Feb. 25 to close out their home slate.

CARROLL 74, WESTMINSTER 65: At Helena, Mont., the Griffins had their three-game winning streak snapped despite shooting 55.6 percent from the field. The home team, though, shot 63.2 percent, including 64.7 percent after intermission.

The Griffins (18-9, 6-5 Frontier) would force Carroll (12-10, 5-5) into 16 turnovers to help them cut into a 15-point first-half deficit. After trailing 29-14 at the 5:58 mark of the opening half, Westminster would twice get within two points. They trailed 61-59 with 3:29 to play, but Carroll scored seven of the next nine points to claim the win.

AJ Reilly led four Griffins in double figures with 16 points. Reilly shot 5-of-6 from the field with two triples in 24 minutes off the bench.

Jake Orchard added 14 points, three rebounds, three assists and two steals. Tanner Gregory and Jordan Hayter scored 12 points apiece.

Andy Garland led Carroll with 26 points and nine rebounds. Ben Cutler added 20 points and Tony Dalton had 14.

Westminster will now conclude the regular season with three straight home games. That stretch begins on Feb. 18 when the Griffins welcome Lewis-Clark State into the Behnken Field House for a 7:30 p.m. tipoff.

6 comments on this story

DIXIE STATE 83, ACADEMY OF ART 65: At St. George, Maurice Cole scored 22 points while Dalton Groskruetz had 13, Solomon Jensen added 11 and Griffon Jones chipped in 10 as the Red Storm (17-4, 12-1) remain atop the PacWest standings.

SLCC 98, SNOW COLLEGE 96: At Taylorsville, the Bruins used a last second tip in by Louis Garrett to take the 98-96 win over Snow College. The Bruins (20-5, 7-3) were in control of the game with leads as large as 15 points but the win came down to a last second shot by Garrett.