1 of 14
Fullwood Family,
Leroy Woody Fullwood, 70, and his wife, Dorothy Ann Fullwood, 69, were found dead in their home in Mt. Pleasant, Sanpete County, Saturday, Dec. 31, 2011.

MT. PLEASANT, Sanpete County — There were few satisfying answers at the funeral service for Woody and Ann Fullwood Friday.

But there was solace and forgiveness.

"(The service) was so good for me because I was angry. But the talks were about forgiveness and loving," said BethAnn Chidester, an educator who had worked with Ann Fullwood in West Jordan.

Both grandson Dylan Clark and LDS Bishop Nathan Palmer referred to LDS scripture, specifically Doctrine and Covenants 64:10, during the packed service: "I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men."

Clark noted that the admonition was unqualified. He also added a biblical verse from Matthew: "Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors."

It may have been difficult advice for many of Ann and Woody Fullwood's neighbors in light of their deaths at the hands of a home intruder last week.

The couple's bodies were discovered in their Mt. Pleasant home Saturday night. They were both shot to death late Thursday, Dec. 29, and their home had been ransacked. Cash, credit cards and guns were also taken.

Logan McFarland, 24, of Moroni, and Angela Hill, a.k.a. Angela Atwood, 25, of Fairview, are being investigated in the killings. Both were apprehended wandering through the desert near Wells, Nev., on Tuesday, following a police manhunt.

Mt. Pleasant Police Chief Jim Wilberg said Hill and McFarland chose the Fullwood home, at the eastern edge of town, at random.

Clark, who spoke for the couple's 11 grandchildren, said the family hopes the couple will be remembered for their love and their laughter rather than the manner of their death.

Charlotte Stewart, of Mt. Pleasant, and Lisa Boman, of Taylorsville, recalled their mother's strong-headed but compassionate nature. Family members, she said, ironically felt her love even more strongly "after she had put them through the wringer."

The family also remembered Woody Fullwood's giving heart.

"He was very generous with all his friends and family, down to his last dollar," Stewart said. "In fact, he didn't know where to stop."

Woody Fullwood, born in 1941, also made sure every visitor to his home, and even his neighbors, were fed or even overfed. Nobody could go hungry in his presence. Clark said he began to understand his hardworking, patriotic, and sometimes "ornery" grandfather's "obsession" with feeding friends and family when he learned of the poverty Woody faced growing up in North Carolina.

Woody Fullwood's father was so ill that the family had a hard time paying their bills, or even feeding themselves. At age 12, he was made responsible for paying his family's water bill.

He intended to join the U.S. Army during the Vietnam War but, according to Boman, the "Army recruiters were out to lunch." So he joined the Navy instead, serving several tours aboard the U.S.S. Kittyhawk aircraft carrier.

Ann Fullwood, born Ann Price in 1942, grew up in Salt Lake City. Her daughters said she called her early life "perfect."

The two met at a naval base in San Diego. Ann Fullwood was a lifelong member of the LDS Church. Woody Fullwood converted soon after their marriage in 1966. They were sealed in the Salt Lake LDS Temple in 1979.

Woody operated several hair salons in Sandy, where they raised their three children.  Ann taught special education classes at Jordan Valley School and Hillcrest High School.

The two moved to Mt. Pleasant about seven years ago, after their retirement, to be close to Stewart, who works for Wasatch Academy, a nearby boarding school. Their son, Michael Lee Fullwood, is a police officer in West Jordan.

The couple were volunteers in the Manti LDS Temple.

Another service for the couple will be held at noon Saturday in Sandy at 275 E. 10600 South.

More information can be found in the Fullwoods' joint obituary.