Ami Wilcox
The Syracuse Titans celebrate their 56-21 victory over the Weber Warriors.

SYRACUSE — It was victory all the way for the Syracuse Titan seniors Friday night as they demolished the Weber Warriors, 56-21.

In their final game of the regular conference season, the Titans' fate rested entirely in their own hands. A win in their final conference home game would seal the deal for Syracuse’s Region 1 standing and deliver a fourth-place berth for the state 5A playoffs.

Syracuse had lost three of its last four games by margins and circumstances that would have made lesser teams flinch. But true to their determination and solid work ethic, the Titans remained focused and came away with a huge win.

The Titans dominated within the first two minutes of play as Mason Woodward took a handoff from quarterback Trevor Davis and rolled 49 yards into the end zone. Attempts by Weber to advance downfield were thwarted early on by a crushing Titan defensive machine.

With two minutes left in the first quarter, Davis drilled a 46-yard touchdown pass to senior wide-out Shane Russell. The Titans were alone on the boards 14-0.

Syracuse scored again just one minute into the second quarter with a scorching pass to Diante Mitchell for a 38-yard touchdown carry. Brock Anderson pumped the score to 21-0 with his third consecutive extra point of the game.

The Warriors answered with their own drive into the red zone. A 17-yard pass to Dallon Green was stopped short by Titan senior Devon Stewart. A second pass reception by running back Austin Tesch was squashed by defensive end Hunter Dimick.

With just 30 seconds left in the quarter, Tesch completed an 11-yard run and Weber was on the boards. Austin Pulver connected with the extra point, and the quarter ended 21-7.

Armed with new motivation, the Weber Warriors returned to the field ready to take on the Titan giant. A 39-yard reverse play by Colton Wayment, half way through the third quarter, narrowed the lead to 21-14.

What looked briefly like a momentum shift for the Warriors was over as quickly as it began. The Titans answered back with an offensive assault as Davis ran the ball into the end zone for a 28-14 score. Three minutes later, a Weber fumble found senior Hunter Dimick in possession of the ball for a 16-yard touchdown run, ending the quarter 35-14.

In the final period, the Titans scored three more times. A 2-yard run by Woodward brought the score to 42-14. A second 18-yard run by Woodward boosted the score to 49-14. With 7 1/2 minutes left on the clock, Weber rallied again with another seven points by Dallon Green and Pulver.

An offside kick planted the Titans at the 44-yard line — where a hard drive up the middle by senior Austin Bolos capped off the night’s offensive onslaught with a final score of 56-21.

Kickers Kyle Coffee and Matt Kealamakia each scored two of the four extra points in the second half. Shane Russell capped off the night with one touchdown and three catches for 86 yards, while Woodward ended with three touchdowns and 162 yards rushing.

All told, nine different Titan players scored in Friday night’s contest as the team racked up a season high 56 points. The victory was especially sweet for those in the senior class, who were playing their final career conference game on their home turf.

“It’s gratifying to end the regular season with a huge win at home,” said head coach Russ Jones. “Our seniors have trained and fought hard during the past three years. It’s great for them to be able to finish well and qualify for the playoffs. This is the fourth year in a row that our kids have qualified for the Utah 5A state playoffs. I am really proud of them and how well they have performed throughout the season.”