SALT LAKE CITY — Officers serving a search warrant Tuesday night shot and killed two pit bulls.

But the homeowner said police used excessive force and shot the dogs in front of a young child.

Mary Ommundson said her 6-year-old daughter was in the kitchen when officers barged in and opened fire in the home at 149 E. Edith Ave. about 9:10 p.m. Tuesday.

She claims one dog was lying down by the dining room table and the other was on the couch sleeping when officers came into her home without identifying themselves. She insists the dogs weren't attacking, or even barking, when police shot them.

"They came in so quietly and started shooting immediately," Ommundson said.

The woman was in her bedroom with her 3-year-old granddaughter when the incident occurred. She is most concerned that her daughter was in the same room when officers entered and fired eight shots.

"They didn't even keep in mind that she was in the kitchen," Ommundson said of her daughter. "She was screaming."

Three bullet holes were still visible in the kitchen floor after the shooting. The couch where Ommundson said one of the pit bulls was lying during the shooting was soaked in blood Wednesday.

"I've never ever had a complaint about my dogs. I've lived her so many years. They've been to her kindergarten for show and tell. They are not aggressive," Ommundson said.

Police, however, said the "aggressive" dogs attacked Salt Lake police narcotics officers as they executed a search warrant.

"The dogs were attacking the officers and they fired to protect themselves and other officers that were executing the search warrant," said Salt Lake Police Sgt. Shawn Josephson.

Police say they found heroin and drug paraphernalia inside the home on Ommundson's son. Three people were booked for investigation of drug possession as well as child endangerment because of the children that were present.

Josephson said things like weapons and dogs are have to be considered when police serve a no-knock warrant.

Ommundson said she was handcuffed for being uncooperative with officers until she calmed down.

Contributing: Paul Koepp