SALT LAKE CITY — Surveillance video and 911 audiotapes shed new light into what happened when a Utah teenager was killed during a police shootout in the state of Washington state in January.

The shooting happened Jan. 23, just before 4 p.m. The first chilling two-way radio calls from officers were heard.

"Shots fired!" a male officer said.

"Shot's fired! We have an officer down!" a female officer yelled.

A surveillance camera captured the chaos at a Walmart store in a Seattle suburb: officers chasing a man with a backpack who turns and starts shooting. Two officers fall, injured.

Witnesses immediately began calling 911.

"Officers were pursuing a man in front of Walmart," a caller told a 911 dispatcher. "I saw the man turn, and he shot at the officers."

The man with the gun was 31-year-old Anthony Martinez. As he tried to run for the woods, officers returned gunfire, hitting him above his left knee.

When 13-year-old Astrid Valdivia, of Clearfield, tried to check on him, he shot her twice in the chest before shooting himself in the heart.

Initial reports indicated that a third deputy had shot and killed Martinez and that Valdivia was killed in the crossfire; however, the Washington State Patrol's ballistics report clarifies what happened.

"The fatal shots were all fired at very close range, within 3 feet," said Kitsap County prosecutor Russ Hauge, who has also reviewed choppy surveillance video of the shootings. "That wasn't clear until now. Nobody knew for sure until the ballistics report because it happened so quickly and there was so much going on."

The shootout began when two deputies approached Martinez in the parking lot to ask him for identification after receiving a suspicious person report. Martinez bolted and started firing, hitting deputy John Roy Stacy in the right shoulder and deputy Andrew Ejde in the left shoulder and right arm. Deputy Krista Rae McDonald, acting as backup, fired about a half-dozen shots at Martinez, eventually striking him in the knee.

Valdivia was reported missing from her foster home in South Salt Lake about a week before this shooting. She and Martinez, who was once a friend of her mother, had run off together before. Last year, they were found in Sacramento and Martinez was charged with child kidnapping.

When the shooting occurred, Martinez was free on bail and had a scheduled court date later in the week in Davis County on the kidnapping charges.