PROVO — All three levels of the BYU Bookstore were evacuated around 1 p.m. Friday due to an odor that permeated a portion of the building.
The hazardous materials team was called and determined that a maintenance worker had poured standard drain cleaner down the sink in the bottom floor, which let off the sulfur-like smell, said BYU Police Lt. Arnold Lemmon.
The team deemed the fumes to be nontoxic and aired out the building for 20 minutes before letting people go back into the store.
Lemmon said there were probably fewer people in the bookstore Friday than there normally are because classes were not being held so students could prepare for finals week.
— Sara Lenz