Following his arrival in England in early 1840, Elder John Taylor was assigned to serve in Liverpool. After finding some initial success with members of his extended family, Elder Taylor's progress in the work continued. Needing a place that could accommodate larger groups to hear his sermons, Elder Taylor rented the music hall on the corner of Bold and Concert streets in Liverpool. Several sources note that the present restored building on this site is the hall used by Elder Taylor. However, local researcher and author Peter Fagg has learned that the music hall used in 1840 burned down some years after it was rented by John Taylor. All that remains of that structure is the older brick facade, seen at the right of the image above. That wall, still on its original site, was part of the actual hall used by Elder Taylor during his mission.