A man who has already served prison time for his role in a murder in the 1990s was back in court Wednesday to face new charges of aggravated assault and aggravated kidnapping.

A mother of one of Davey Joe Williams' two victims from 1997 is now speaking out to make sure he never is released again. The woman did not want her name used for fear of retaliation.

"Apparently prison didn't change him," she said.

Prosecutors say Williams kidnapped and abused his wife over a three-day period last month because he thought she was having an affair.

During those three days, Williams beat his wife with his fists and with a sock that he had put a hard object in, tied her wrists and ankles with electrical cords and used a third cord to wrap around her neck, cut her hair with a knife and held a 10-pound dumbbell over her child's head and threatened to drop it on him, according to court documents.

Last week, Williams, 31, was charged in 3rd District Court with two counts of aggravated kidnapping, two counts of aggravated assault and domestic violence in the presence of a child.

This isn't Williams' first high-profile case in Utah. He was paroled from the Utah State Prison on May 26 after serving a little under 11 years for his convictions on kidnapping and robbery charges. But as part of a plea deal, a second-degree felony murder charge was dismissed.

On May 24, 1997, Williams and Christopher Tolton got into the back seat of a car with Arthur Sanchez, 21, and Carlos Chavez, who was 15 at the time. Prosecutors said the group was originally planning a drug deal. Instead, Tolton shot and killed Sanchez from point blank range in the face.

Chavez was then forced to drive to another location, where he was shot in the face. Amazingly, he survived and stumbled through the night until reaching a random residence, where he pounded on the door for help.

"(Chavez) walked down an alley with a bullet in his head," the woman said.

Tolton was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole for the murder as part of a plea deal that exempted him from the death penalty. His next parole hearing was scheduled for 2022.

On Oct. 21, Williams will have a hearing to discuss his parole violation.

"I'm going to be there with bells on my toes," the woman said.

The mother believes Williams, whom she said is still "intimidating," has no remorse for his crime over a decade ago.

"We've tried to forgive, but we haven't forgotten," she said.

Chavez has permanent injuries from the shooting and has had hours of both reconstructive surgery and counseling. But today he is trying to live a normal life, she said. To do that, she said he has changed his name for protection.

"He's been living on his own. He's doing great. He's a miracle kid. We didn't think he was going to make it," she said. "He's been through hell and back and survived."

Chavez turned his head right when Tolton fired, the woman said. She believes that saved his life.

But Chavez still lives with memories of the incident every day, both emotionally and physically. The bullet was never removed, she said.

"He begged for his life. He had a career. He was a sergeant major at East High School's ROTC. He was ready to go fight for the country. He had a great thing going on," the woman said. "Them people need to be put away. (Williams) changed my whole life. I hope he realizes what he has done, again."

e-mail: preavy@desnews.com