Mike Terry, Deseret News
Spray paint on the street denotes the location of a traffic accident where a mail truck struck a young girl on Amethyst St. in Layton Wednesday. The girl, 3, was flown to Primary Children's Medical Center with minor injuries.

LAYTON — A 3-year-old girl was flown to Primary Children's Medical Center with minor injuries after being hit by a mail truck in her Layton neighborhood Wednesday, police said.

Police were called to 837 N. Amethyst St. around 12:45 p.m., said Layton Police Lt. Quinn Moyes.

Alan Briscoe, the 62-year-old driver of the U.S. Postal Service truck, had just completed a mailbox delivery when he returned to his vehicle and traveled about 30 feet to the next mailbox, Moyes said.

The mail truck was traveling about 5 to 10 mph when the driver felt "a small bump," Moyes said. The man immediately got out of the truck and saw that the child had been hit.

Police say the girl likely wandered into the street while she was unattended, as she lives in a home just a few houses from where the accident occurred.

Once he saw the child, the postal worker went to a nearby house and had the residents call 911.

The neighbor Briscoe found, Stefanie Adams, said she had to check twice to make sure it wasn't her child when the mailman brought the girl to her door.

"He was pretty shaken," she said.

The girl was bleeding from her mouth and had a tire mark on her skin where the mail truck had passed over her body and some road rash, Adams said.

"She was crying, and I thought that was a good sign."

Adams called 911 after telling the man to place the girl on Adams' lawn. Though responding officers said the only injury they could see was a "minor facial laceration," they called AirMed to transport the child as a precaution.

"Anytime a young child is run over, you want to take those precautions," Moyes said. "You want to make sure they get the care and attention they need."

The girl was alert, breathing and crying when she was transported, Moyes said.

The investigation into the accident is ongoing, and no citations have been issued, he said.