Brian Wood

The funeral for a Farmington firefighter killed in a daylong standoff will be Friday.

Funeral services for 36-year-old Brian Wood will be at 2 p.m. Friday at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Fruit Heights, with interment following the service at Farmington City Cemetery.

The Farmington Fire Department has agreed to transport Wood's casket from the church to the cemetery on a firetruck. But Wood is not receiving a regular firefighter funeral. There will not be the full honors normally bestowed on a firefighter killed in the line of duty.

Wood was shot and killed by police following a 12-hour standoff in front of his house that ended about 9:30 p.m. Monday. Wood had had an argument with his wife that morning and fired a gun into a trash can. A SWAT team and officers from several agencies surrounded Wood's driveway, where he sat most of the day in a truck while holding a gun to his head.

Police attempted to get Wood to surrender Monday night by deploying several flash-bang devices and tear gas, but something happened that resulted in Wood being shot.

The exact sequence of events that led up to that moment will be a key part of the investigation into the incident.

"We want to get an accurate picture and put that all together," Farmington Police Chief Wayne Hansen said Wednesday. "In the next day or two, we hope to have the whole investigation laid out."

The Davis County Attorney's Office on Wednesday issued a statement saying the Officer Involved Fatality Investigation Team of the Utah Attorney General's Office would conduct an investigation into the use of deadly force. It also confirmed that a Davis County sheriff's deputy had been placed on routine paid administrative leave following the outcome of the investigation.

"A thorough, fair and objective review must be conducted to determine whether the officer's decision to use deadly force was justified," the Davis County Attorney's Office said in a prepared statement Wednesday. "Our sincere condolences are extended to all impacted by the untimely death of Brian Wood."

Farmington Police's Critical Incident Protocol Team also will review the standoff to see what can be done differently in future incidents.

Initially, there were reports that Wood had shot himself. That came from an officer's comments on the police two-way radio that was monitored by the media, Hansen said. But that information was never officially confirmed or released by police to the media, Hansen said. It wasn't until Tuesday evening that the department announced that an officer had shot Wood.

"We never confirmed (he shot himself) with the media," Hansen said. "We were trying to get (the information) together and get confirmation. We had a lot of investigative protocol to go through before we released accurate information. We wanted to make sure we had a complete picture (before officially announcing the cause of death)."

Hansen confirmed Wood fired two shots during the daylong events: one in the morning at the trash can and one in the evening. Information about the evening shot, or how it fell into the sequence of all that happened, was still being investigated.

Friends and family members of Wood have voiced their anger over the shooting, saying the incident didn't have to end that way. In March, police had a similar encounter with Wood but were able to talk him into surrendering.

A viewing for Wood was scheduled for 6 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Russon Brothers Mortuary in Farmington, 1941 N. Main.

The Rev. Neal Humphrey said it was a difficult time for Wood's family and that they were all still in shock.

E-mail: [email protected]