Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Utah's Morgan Skeen (14) celebrates scoring a goal with teammates Katie Martinez, left, and Lauren Porter (4).

Utah's three-match shutout streak skidded to a halt against Cal-State Fullerton when goalkeeper Emalee Rogers mishandled the ball on an early save attempt.

But the Utes' unbeaten streak is alive and well. Utah held the Titans in check after yielding the early goal and got an equalizer from Morgan Skeen in the 24th minute to force a 1-1 draw at Ute Field on Sunday afternoon.

The Utes (3-5-2) have won or tied four straight matches since a 1-5 start.

"Any time you fall behind and you're able to come back, that's a good sign of character," Utah coach Rich Manning said. "We were able to do that today, which is fantastic."

Utah fell into an early hole after Rogers' mistake. Ute defender Amanda Sanchez initially cleared a ball out of the penalty area, Tamara Dewey latched onto it up top. Dewey, a sophomore, sent a rocket at Rogers from about 35 yards out.

The junior keeper seemed to have her fingers around the ball initially. But it squirted out of her hands and dropped behind her back to give the Titans (4-3-1) a 1-0 lead in the 8th minute.

"It was just a lack of concentration on my part," Rogers said. "I definitely take full responsibility for the goal and I'm just happy my team was able to rally back."

That was the fastest goal scored by either Utah or one of its opponents in a soccer match so far this season. And it was also the first goal that the Utes had yielded in a four game span.

Manning was satisfied with how the Utes regrouped and clamped down on the defensive end the rest of the way.

The Utes dodged a bullet in the 49th minute when a header by CSF midfielder Jackie Hovda careened off the crossbar. But it turned out to be the best shot the Titans had at producing a second-half goal.

The Ute backline shadowed CSF's forwards and would not allow them space to create much of anything in the final third.

"The Nno. 1 thing is we're making it hard for teams to score on us," Manning said. "That's the first step and I feel like we've made a lot of progress in that area.'

Skeen evened things up for the Utes midway through the first half when she curled a shot from the right side that drifted over the head of Titan keeper Shannon Simpson. It was Skeen's second goal in a Utah uniform.

Kelly Isleib nearly put Utah ahead in 37th minute. Isleib lobbed a free kick over CSF's three-man defensive wall. Her shot had a good enough arc on it to drop down behind Simpson in the net. But the Titan sophomore jumped and snatched the ball out of the air during its descent.

Utah looked like it might finally take a lead in the first overtime. The Utes nearly scored on a shot by Chelsea Forbes in the 92nd minute. Katy Reineke set up Forbes at the near post on a nice give-and-go. Her shot was perfectly on frame, but knocked away on a dive by Simpson.

LBSU 3, USU 0: Utah State saw its two-match winning streak come to an end with a hard fought, 3-0, loss to Long Beach State. The Aggies move to 4-5-1, while the 49ers improve to 5-2-2 with the win. In the 22nd minute, junior forward Erin Salmon and freshman midfielder Mollie Maduell had the best chances for the Aggies in the first half. Salmon and Maduell fired back-to-back shots to threaten LBSU goalkeeper Liz Ramos.

E-mail: [email protected]