About 20 homes in Salt Lake City were evacuated due to a gas leak Friday afternoon.
A construction company doing some drilling in the street near 1300 East and 1350 South hit a gas line about 11 a.m. Friday, said Salt Lake Fire Capt. Karleen Montanez. Initially, crews weren't sure if they hit a 2-inch gas main or a 16-inch main because they were so close together. Work crews had to open up the road to get to the pipes and discovered a pipe had been punctured.
There was also concern the gas might get into the storm drains. "If someone would have thrown a cigarette in there, it would have blown," Montanez said.
The homes were evacuated and streets were blocked off as fire crews took the covers off storm drains so they could vent.
After turning the gas off, fire crews helped vent the storm drain and nearby homes, as well as relight pilot lights, before allowing residents back into their homes. The area was closed off for a couple of hours.