PROVO — Mountain View didn't earn any style points, but it got the three points it wanted in the Region 7 soccer standings with a 3-1 win over Provo on Thursday.

The Bruins overcame an early deficit and eventually proved too much for Provo to hold back over 80 minutes, and the fact that the result wasn't particularly eye-catching won't bother anybody.

Mountain View has now won three straight games and is still close enough to the two region leaders to make them take notice.

"We've struggled to come back when we're down, so it's good to see us rally," said Bruins coach Sara Atuaia. "Goals are goals. I don't care how they go in really."

All three of Mountain View's scores came directly from defensives mistakes. But, so did the goal the Bruins conceded in the opening minutes. In the fourth minute, a speculative Provo boot up the field took an odd bounce off the turf and over the head of a central defender. That allowed speedy forward Amber Wadsworth to beat the defense to the ball and chip a shot past the goalkeeper for the early lead.

"It's discouraging to be down a goal in the first five minutes," said Atuaia. "We were fearful that they'd just pack it in on defense and it would be hard to get through."

For the rest of the first half, the Bruins did have a hard time breaking through the Bulldogs' defense, and it prompted a formation change in the second half.

"We didn't put too much pressure on their goal so I added another girl up top," said Atuaia. "They were only playing with Amber up top so we had four girls marking one person. I decided we should do three and put some more pressure up."

The pressure paid off. Mountain View found a quick equalizer and then went on to take the lead.

Heather Peterson's breakaway shot was initially stopped by the goalkeeper, but it wasn't held and she put her own rebound into the net seven minutes into the second half.

In the 68th minute, the Bruins went ahead on an own goal. Anjie Lines sent in a dangerous cross from the right side and a defender headed it straight into the back of the net.

Mountain View put the game away in stoppage time when another stop by the goalkeeper bounced free and Peterson was in position to poach her second goal of the game.

"The second half I felt like we kept it down on their end a little more," said Atuaia. "Credit to our girls to come back and put the game away."