OREM — Firefighters from three cities spent hours Wednesday gutting the side of a cabinet business and dousing smoldering fires.

The blaze initially began as a small grass fire Wednesday morning. A crew from North Eastern Services — an organization that provides job placement to individuals with developmental disabilities — was trimming weeds behind King's Drawers, a cabinet and drawer manufacturer at 1094 N. 1300 West. The weed trimmer blade struck a rock and caused some sparks, Orem police Lt. Doug Edwards said.

Three crew members tried to kick dirt on the flames and use a fire extinguisher, but the blaze spread too quickly, Edwards said.

Heat from the flames transferred through the building's metal exterior and ignited several fires that spread quickly inside the wall, Edwards said.

The Orem Fire Department put out the grass fire as well as a few fires that burned through the walls and reached the inside of the building. Firefighters sawed through the metal sheeting and doused the smoking insulation and wood frames. Pleasant Grove and Provo fire departments also responded.

No one was reported injured.

Jared Jaynes, North Eastern Services employment director, called the incident a "freak accident."

"It's really dry," he said of the area where the trimming sparked the blaze.

Alan King, owner of King's Drawers, watched firefighters march in and out of his business for hours. He said some of the supplies in the area where the fire burned is priced as high as $70,000.

"It's not just stuff you can find at Home Depot," he said.


E-mail: jdana@desnews.com