OGDEN — Just like any good quarterback, Cameron Higgins never feels truly satisfied. Whenever he completes a pass or scores a touchdown, there is always a missed opportunity along the way that pops into his mind.

"Every quarterback wants perfection," Higgins said. "I was somewhat happy with my performance, but there's always room for improvement."

Truthfully, the sophomore could not have accomplished much more than he did against Dixie State on Saturday night. Higgins completed 18-of-23 passes for 333 yards and five touchdowns to help the Wildcats cruise to a 44-7 victory over DSC at Stewart Stadium.

Higgins was at his best during a dominant first half. He completed his first 14 passes and racked up 15 completions out of 16 attempts before halftime. By that point, he had accumulated 265 yards and thrown four touchdown passes.

Such a hot streak proved instantly beneficial to Weber State's offense. The Wildcats scored on all five first-half possessions and did not punt until their first second-half drive.

"He's a smart guy," Weber State coach Ron McBride said. "He knows where to put the football."

Momentum seemed to go the Wildcats' way from the start. Bryant Eteuati returned the opening kickoff 38 yards, putting Weber State near midfield to begin its first drive. The Wildcats did not waste that advantage, capping off a 10-play drive with a 4-yard pass from Higgins to Cody Nakamura to take a 6-0 lead.

Higgins and Nakamura would hook up for two more touchdowns before the half was over. Nakamura, who was moved to tight end in the spring, snagged a 37-yarder from Higgins to put Weber State up 20-7 after Dixie State cut the lead to six near the end of the first quarter.

Then the sophomore found Nakamura again for one final touchdown — a 3-yard grab in the back of the end zone — with 11:16 remaining in the fourth quarter.

Nakamura said he has faced some adjustments in his new position. But he thinks having Higgins to get him the ball makes the learning curve easier.

"We work well together," Nakamura said. "We worked kind of hard in the summer to develop our timing and he puts up a real catchable ball."

It sure ended up being difficult for DSC to defend. The Wildcats burned their secondary on several drives.

Weber State's second touchdown, for example, came on a 62-yard bomb to Mike Phillips. Phillips slipped unnoticed between a pair of DSC defensive backs on a crossing route and Higgins hit him in perfect stride. From there, the sophomore receiver streaked untouched the rest of the way to put the Wildcats up 13-0.

Dixie State closed the gap a bit late in the first quarter when Aaron Davies used a one-yard plunge to make it 13-7.

DSC advanced deep into Wildcat territory on a pair of big plays. Adam Wells made a 26-yard catch on third down to get them to the Wildcat 36. Then Davies, a freshman, ran on five straight plays to get DSC into the end zone — his biggest being an 18-yard scamper to the 2-yard line.

But the Wildcats put it out of reach with a trio of second-quarter touchdowns. It started when Trevyn Smith burst down the sideline and scored on a 10-yard scamper.

Smith also capped off the scoring surge 52 seconds before halftime when he pulled down a screen pass from Higgins and warded off a series of tacklers near the goal line to give the Wildcats a 34-7 advantage.

Seeing all of it was enough to convince Dixie State coach Ron Haun, a former WSU assistant, that Weber State could be the team to beat in the Big Sky Conference. He was pleased with his team's effort against a higher division opponent.

"It was a tall order (to beat them)," Haun said. "The kids played hard. That's all you can ask."

E-mail: jcoon@desnews.com