WOODS CROSS — It's not everyday you win a football game off the field, but that's exactly where Mountain Crest (1-0, 3-1) turned its concentration last week. The time in the film room focused on the loss last week to Northridge and this week's region opener against Woods Cross. The result was a convincing 42-7 victory over the Wildcats (0-1, 1-3) Friday.

"Last week we didn't play very well and film reveals who didn't do what they needed to in that game," said Mountain Crest coach Mark Wootton. "We were able to challenge our players to play better and harder tonight."

But don't let the time in the film room fool you, because the coaches pressed the players with a tough week of practice to correct what the film exposed.

"We really had a hard week of practice and needed it because we were riding a little too high before the loss last week," said Ethen Lofthouse. "The defensive coaches gave us a great scouting report on Woods Cross and we knew what they were going to do after working on the defense during the week."

The Mustangs' only struggles in the outing were their own fault in the form of penalties. Otherwise, Mountain Crest had everything going its way and scored on its first three drives.

Woods Cross punter Taylor Hood did everything he could early on, pinning the Mustangs on their own 3- and 8-yard line for the opening two drives. But Mountain Crest drove the field fairly easily for an early 14-0 lead.

Woods Cross had a couple chances to score, with the best coming in the second quarter. Trailing by two scores, the Wildcats put together a 76-yard drive that put them on the Mustangs' 4-yard line. But a miscue in the handoff from David Cusick to C.J. Corry put the ball on the turf, where Colton Reeder recovered. The next play was a dagger for the Wildcats as Alex Kuresa hit Ethan Rasmussen for a 96-yard score to compliment Rasmussen's earlier 4-yard touchdown run.

Leading 21-0, Mountain Crest doubled its score in the second half. Alex Knowles concluded the scoring with a 67-yard kickoff return. The kickoff return came after Woods Cross put its only score up when Tyler Parson hit Willie Wolfgramm from 39 yards out.

Kuresa finished the night 15-of-19 with 233 yards passing and a touchdown. The sophomore was 9-of-10 in the first half. Kuresa left the game in the fourth quarter with a slight concussion after getting sacked. Lofthouse added two touchdowns and 112 yards on nine carries. He replaced Kuresa at quarterback and took a snap 44 yards to start off the fourth quarter scoring.

"Ethen is just a tough kid and we knew it was better to take Alex out and let Ethen play quarterback since he played there last year," said Wootton.

Though the offense was potent for Mountain Crest, it was the Mustang defense that led the way. The group recorded three interceptions and a fumble, while holding Woods Cross to the lone score.