PROVO — A man is in jail after police say he punched two officers and frightened two pregnant women during his attempt to get out of a drug-possession arrest.

During a bail hearing Tuesday morning, prosecutor Randy Kennard called the police report of the situation one of the most egregious he's ever read and asked for $100,000 cash-only bail.

"This is a person who's going to endanger society," Kennard told 4th District Judge James Taylor.

Police pulled over a car Friday night because it had no license plate light, according to an affidavit of probable cause. When the Provo officer stepped to the window to talk with the driver, he smelled a strong odor of marijuana. As the driver and passenger got out to be searched, police said, the passenger dropped a baggy of what looked to be marijuana.

When the officer told the 32-year-old passenger he was under arrest, the man replied, "No, I'm not," and began to physically fight with police. The officer said he deployed a Taser but that it didn't work, and the man punched him in the face with a closed fist, breaking his glasses.

The man then took off running and tried to kick in the door of a house near 500 W. 200 South in Provo. Police said a pregnant woman inside was very frightened by the man, who did not get in.

As the now-several police officers got close to the house, the man jumped another fence and kept running. When a different police officer caught up with him, the man hit him in the head and scaled another fence.

Continuing the foot pursuit, police said, the man kept running until he saw a woman pull into her driveway. Police said he jumped in and tried to push the young, pregnant woman out of the car, all while yelling at her.

"To try to escape is one thing," said Provo Police Capt. Cliff Argyle. "When you start involving other people violently, that's definitely a (problem)."

The woman couldn't get out because the door was stuck, so the man put the car in gear again and pushed her leg down on the gas, trying to flee in her car, police said.

The woman was screaming but kept her foot on the brake, Argyle said. The man had locked the doors and was holding the door handle so officers had to break the car window to get the door open and the man out.

Even after being Tasered a second time and pulled from the car, police said, the man continued to fight. Pepper spray also failed to stop the man, although it affected several of the police officers. No officers were seriously injured, Argyle said.

Brandon Kimball Gardner was finally subdued by four officers and taken to the Utah County Jail for investigation of aggravated robbery, aggravated kidnapping, criminal trespassing of a residence, tampering with evidence, assault on a police officer, fleeing on foot from police, resisting arrest, possession of marijuana and criminal mischief.

E-mail: [email protected]