1 of 2
Scott G. Winterton, Deseret News
Palmer Morris stands in the back of a truck as his friend Chaz Montoya drives through puddles of water in the Murray High School parking lot on Monday.

On Labor Day, the mountain tops wore white.

A storm system that moved into the state on Sunday lingered through Monday, dumping more than an inch of rain along the Wasatch Front and dusting the mountain tops with snow.

And forecasters expect fall temperatures to stick around for now.

"We're not going to see 90s any time soon," said Mike Conger with the National Weather Service in Salt Lake City.

Around the Salt Lake Valley, daytime highs are expected to be in the upper 60s and lower 70s through the week, with the possibility of low 80s during the weekend, according to the Weather Service.

After a wet weekend, however, things should stay dry.

That's good news for Draper residents who lined their streets with sandbags Sunday, bracing for the worst as rain pounded the hillsides left blackened by a wildfire last week.

The fire in Corner Canyon stripped practically all vegetation in the area and there was serious concern heavy rain might cause mudslides and flooding.

Draper's Emergency Operations Center was activated and residents were alerted to prepare for a possible evacuation. Ultimately, however, no flooding was reported.

The storm's impact was felt around most of the state and cities from Ogden to Payson reported more than an inch of rain over the weekend.

"This was a good solid storm," Conger said. "It hit a broad area. We haven't seen that in a long time."

Nearly 1 1/2 inches fell in Sandy and along the benches in Bountiful, according to the Weather Service. The Salt Lake airport received just less than an inch of rain and Alta reported about an inch of snow.

Kanab logged more than an inch of rainfall. The rain caused minor flooding along some unimproved roads in southern Utah, Conger said.

Rain over the weekend slowed a 3,400-acre fire near Moab. The Porcupine Ranch fire was 85 percent contained Monday, as the number of firefighters battling the flames was trimmed from 355 to 39.

High winds and tree branches falling into power lines left thousands of people around the state without power Sunday and Monday.

At the height of the outages, about 26,000 homes and businesses were darkened about 7:30 p.m. Sunday, said Rocky Mountain Power spokesman Jeff Hymas.

More than 4,000 customers were without power through Sunday night and Monday morning, and the lights were out for 314 homes and businesses in downtown Salt Lake until about 11 p.m. Monday.

E-mail: [email protected]