MONTICELLO — The Grand County Red Devils improved to 2-0 on the still-young season with a convincing 27-6 win over the Monticello Buckaroos Friday night.

Grand quarterback Trevor Robertson rushed 21 times for 58 yards and scored a pair of touchdowns in the second half to put the game away.

Neither team scored in the first quarter, with Grand fumbling the ball away on their first possession and getting intercepted a few minutes later. The Buckaroos were unable to capitalize on either turnover.

"We had to make some adjustments for their defense," said Grand coach Dennis Wells of the Red Devils' somewhat flat start. "Once we did that, things started to happen for us."

Indeed they did. On the first play of the second period, Grand's Mike Gruber intercepted a Daniel Torres pass and returned the ball to Monticello's 26-yard line. Three plays later, Dallen Dalton ran 16 yards up the middle to score Grand's first touchdown. Dalton also added the extra point kick to make it 7-0.

Monticello's next possession ended when they fumbled the ball at midfield, with Grand's Zach Johnston recovering. Over the next several minutes, the Red Devils worked their way down to the end zone, with Gruber finally punching it in for a 1-yard TD run. Dalton's kick made it 14-0 three minutes before halftime.

Grand returned the opening kick of the second half to midfield, then got as close as Monticello's 22-yard line before attempting a field goal. Dalton's 46-yard attempt was slightly off to the left.

Monticello took over the ball again, but lost it on the very next play when the shotgun snap went past Torres and was recovered by Grand's Shane Yuhas on the Buckaroos' 10-yard line. That set up Robertson's first TD, a 7-yard run. The extra point attempt was no good after a bobbled snap, leaving Grand up 20-0 with 6:30 left in the third. Dalton had a 35-yard field goal attempt blocked later in the period.

"I really felt like we had a chance to put it away in the third quarter, with a couple more scores," said Wells.

Grand's final score came on a 6-yard run by Robertson with 8:48 left in the fourth. Erik Wermuth converted the extra point kick to make it 27-0 for the Red Devils.

Still desperate to put points on the board, Monticello rallied in the final three minutes, with Torres connecting on fourth-and-long with receiver Devin Wright, who made it within inches of the goal line. Two plays later, Torres himself stopped the shutout with a 1-yard carry up the middle. The two-point pass attempt failed.

Grand will play at South Summit next week, while Monticello (0-2) plays at San Juan.