Key findings in the corrections audit released by the legislative auditor general on Wednesday:
• Jail contracts do not adequately require jails to meet basic performance standards.
• Corrections was aware of security problems at the jails but took no steps to ensure improvements were made.
• In the last four years, at least eight notable security or operational problems occurred because of corrections' inadequate management of jail contracts.
• The department failed to review and monitor jail contracts and did not implement recommended changes.
• The current corrections management has inherited a system that is in need of significant improvement.