1 of 3
Geoffrey McAllister, Deseret News
Kamber Ellsworth, wife of Dallin Ellsworth who was killed in Friday's plane crash outside Moab, remembers her husband in their Cedar City home Sunday afternoon. Kamber is eight months pregnant with their son.

CEDAR CITY — Sometime in the next five weeks, Kamber Ellsworth expects to deliver a baby, name him and take him home, without her husband by her side.

Kamber's husband since May 2007, Dallin Ellsworth, was one of 10 Cedar City area residents killed in a plane crash outside of Moab on Friday. The plane carried a pilot and nine employees of Red Canyon Aesthetics and Medical Spa dermatology clinic.

"He's a really good husband, and a really good father," Kamber said about Dallin, to whom she still referred in the present tense on Sunday. "He loves to talk to him, and the baby moves all the time."

"He wasn't scheduled to work on Friday," Kamber said of her husband. "Someone asked him to switch."

The Ellsworth family lost Dallin, 23, and his father, Dr. Lansing Ellsworth, 50, director of the clinic. Also killed were David Goddard, 60, a physician assistant; Cecilee Goddard, 31, a medical assistant; Mandy Johnson, 20, who worked in billing; Marci Tillery, 29, a histologist; Valerie Imlay, 52, an aesthetician; Keith Shumway, 26, clinic employee; Camie Vigil, 32, an aesthetician and pilot David White, 42.

The plane, a Hawker Beechcraft, crashed and burst into flames shortly after it departed the Canyonlands Field Airport northwest of Moab about 6 p.m. Friday. The plane was used as part of a time-share between the dermatology clinic and the Leavitt Group. The bodies have been taken to the Utah State Medical Examiner's Office in Salt Lake City.

Federal investigators were on scene Sunday and likely will remain there for part of today, said National Transportation Safety Board spokesman Keith Holloway.

"At some point, they will begin the process of removing the wreckage," he said. "They'll take it somewhere they can lay it out and further examine it. But the wreckage was pretty much consumed in the fire."

A preliminary report, which will likely include details of the crash but not the cause, should be released early next week, Holloway said.

Dr. Ellsworth and his staff traveled to Moab monthly, seeing as many patients as possible in a day.

Sunday morning, during a stake conference for the Cedar North Stake of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Stake President Bret Whittier said family members of Lansing and Dallin Ellsworth and Valerie Imlay were in the stake.

"Many of you are aware of the terrible tragedy that happened in our community, the plane that went down in Moab, has affected many people," President Whittier said at the beginning of the conference. "Ten lives were lost. Our hearts and our prayers go out to those individuals' families."

"How we will miss those individuals," said President Carl Templin, first counselor in the stake presidency.

One of President Whittier's messages on Sunday was of the importance of husbands and wives praying together. He was reminded about the importance of companionship prayer during a Sunday school class on family relationships.

"I remember (Lansing Ellsworth) spoke of the great blessing companionship prayer had been to him," he said.

Imlay's parents had lived in the stake, and President Whittier said Imlay was married and had three adult sons. She enjoyed life and welcomed newcomers to Cedar City.

"When we first moved here 26 years ago, my wife claimed she was her very first friend," President Whittier said.

Valerie Imlay is survived by her husband Mark. In addition to the adult children, they had two grandsons.

Christi Imlay, the former wife of one of Imlay's sons, remained close to Valerie after her divorce.

"She loved everybody, absolutely everybody," Christi Imlay said, recalling how Valerie opened her home to one of her son's former girlfriends who needed a place to stay.

Valerie Imlay was up most mornings at 5 a.m. She was busy with work, church callings and raising money as a member of the board of the Children's Justice Center. Christi Imlay said Valerie had worked for the clinic at least eight years, first as a medical assistant. She went to school and recently earned an aesthetician license. Valerie Imlay had lived her entire life in the Cedar City area.

Valerie Imlay was big on taking her family to lunch on Saturdays and cooking family dinners on Sundays. Every Fourth of July was celebrated at her parents' house watching fireworks with all her children and their children. She enjoyed shopping for antiques, said Christi Imlay.

Marci Tillery, 29, is survived by husband Matt, and sons ages 4 and 6, said her aunt, Tammy Bird, who also worked at the Red Canyon clinic.

"She was delightful, a self-made person," Bird said. "She had a rough time growing up, but she took charge."

Tillery's mother died when she was 20, and Tillery helped care for her younger sisters, at the time ages 13 and 17. She put herself through college with the help of a grandparent who died soon after her mother died.

Because many of the victims will have LDS funerals, local stake presidents have convened a coordinating council. LDS Family Services is offering counseling to folks who need someone to talk to, said Wayne Hinton, an LDS Church spokesman for the area.

Camie Vigil is survived by her husband Easton. She had moved to Utah from Colorado Springs and lived in Enoch, north of Cedar City. Previously, she had worked as a dental assistant in Vernal and at Premier Dental in Cedar City, Hinton said.

Keith Shumway, originally from Fillmore, is survived by his wife Lisa and 3-month-old baby. He was applying to medical school, Hinton said.

Bird said the clinic will remain closed today and Tuesday. Employees do not want to return to work until after Labor Day. They may work, however, on an emergency basis later this week.

Sunday afternoon, the living room at Dr. Lansing Ellsworth's house was filled with purple mums, yellow roses and fuchsia carnations that friends and family had sent.

Ellsworth was committed to his patients and family, friends said, but he was approachable and lacked pretense.

"He could be working serious, quiet, efficient and quick, then say something that kind of threw everyone off and would be really, really funny," said his widow, LynAnn Ellsworth.

"Lanny" was born and raised in Mesa, Ariz. His father was a farmer. That taught Ellsworth a work ethic. Ellsworth planned to farm full time after retirement from medicine.

Ellsworth spent his undergraduate years at Brigham Young University. He earned a veterinary degree at Washington State University and a medical degree at the University of Washington. He completed residencies at the University of Arizona in Tucson in pathology and dermatology. He had four children. Dallin was his second child.

Never one to completely take a vacation, his friend Matt Denhalter said Ellsworth always took a box of charts on vacations and tried to work three hours each day.

Ellsworth was popular among patients, said Dr. Bryan Ellsworth, his cousin and a urologist in St. George.

With only six or seven dermatologists in Cedar City, the medical community is feeling a loss, he said. Lansing Ellsworth travelled to patients in Delta, Kanab, Richfield, Moab, Fillmore, Page, Ariz.; Ely, Nev.; and Caliente, Nev. Sometimes he made house calls, especially when the patients were elderly.

"It used to be everybody had to drive to Provo or to St. George to be seen," Bryan Ellsworth said. "He completely changed southern Utah's dermatology availability more than anybody else."

Son Dallin wanted to follow his father's footsteps into medicine. Dallin Ellsworth spent the summer polishing his personal statement, part of his application to medical schools at the University of Washington, the University of Utah, Baylor University, and a few schools in the East, "so he could be near church history sites," Kamber Ellsworth said.

Her husband was bright, she said. He began college at BYU, was finishing at Southern Utah University, and was expected to earn a four-year degree in just three years.

At Cedar City High School, Dallin Ellsworth was active in student government. He played football for a year and wrestled all four years. As a teen, he shot up to 6 feet 2 inches. "He wrestled under 110 his senior year," said sister Marie Skinner of Tucson, Ariz., while the family laughed.

Kamber Ellsworth said she doesn't know what to name their son.

"We had a few (names) we had agreed on, but we were just going to wait until the hospital thing," she said.

Dallin Ellsworth didn't want their son named after him. "But I think he might be OK," she said, "with the circumstances."

Contributing: Aaron Falk

E-mail: [email protected]