A 55-gallon steel drum exploded Saturday after a 34-year-old man from Elwood, Box Elder County, attempted to remove the top with a cutting torch.

The explosion threw the man 25 feet and left him with serious burns.

The steel drum contained an explosive chemical that reacted to the heat from the cutting torch, said Sheriff Lynn Yeates of the Box Elder County Sheriff's Office. A press release from Yeates said the explosion blew the lid off the drum and through the roof of the shop, causing about $2,000 in damage to the building.

The man was taken to Bear River Valley Hospital in Tremonton, then transferred by air ambulance to the burn center at the University of Utah. He was listed in serious condition with burns to his hand, forearm, torso and legs, according to the press release.