The weekend shooting of a man in downtown Salt Lake City has now turned into a homicide investigation.

Ryan Agar, 24, was shot multiple times while standing in a driveway near 500 East and 700 South just after 3 a.m. Saturday. At least two people witnessed the shooting, according to jail records.

Even after he was struck in the neck and lying on the ground bleeding, another man came up to him and punched him in the head and face, according to Salt Lake County Jail documents.

As two of the men ran away, Agar's brother ran after the gunman but stopped when the man raised his weapon and threatened him.

Agar died at University Hospital Tuesday night.

"He was the best big brother. He'd give you the shirt off his back," said his sister Danielle Hanna.

The morning Agar was shot, a man he knew came to the door and asked if Agar would come outside, said Samantha Agar, Ryan Agar's sister-in-law. Once he was in front of his apartment, multiple gunshots were fired.

Two men have been arrested.

Richard Craft, 21, was arrested Tuesday. Detectives believe he was the man who pulled the trigger.

He was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of attempted murder as Ryan Agar was still in extremely critical condition at the time. But in the jail booking records, police stated that Ryan Agar was not expected to live.

Family members say Ryan Agar and Craft were acquaintances and neighbors. Craft had even been in Ryan Agar's house recently to help him hook up a stereo system. Anthony Longsoldier, 27, was arrested and also booked into jail Monday for attempted murder. Investigators believe Longsoldier was the man who punched Ryan Agar after the shooting.

Longsoldier was sent to the Utah State Prison Tuesday on a parole violation while the case is investigated.

With Ryan Agar's death, police will ask the Salt Lake County District Attorney's Office to consider filing homicide charges. A trust fund has been set up at all Zions Bank locations under his name to help his sons.

E-mail: [email protected]