LEHI — An unattended candle may be the reason behind a basement fire that scorched a Lehi home Monday night.

The unfinished basement of a home, located on Shadey Bend Lane on Traverse Mountain behind Cabela's, caught on fire shortly before 10 p.m., said Capt. Ricky Evans of the Lehi Fire Department.

The candle is believed to have caught a stack of papers on fire, and the fire grew quickly, Evans said.

The flames stayed in the basement, melting a TV and causing nearly $5,000 worth of damage, Evans estimated.

"We got in and got it knocked down pretty fast," Evans said. "We had a lot more smoke damage throughout the house rather than flames."

One adult female, who was in the home at the time the fire started, left the home and called 911, Evans said. She was not injured.

Crews were on scene for about two hours, although the actual fire was contained within 20 minutes, Evans said. No other homes were threatened.

The home is liveable, but may need to have some smoke-removal services first, Evans said.

"Just like everybody else says, with candles, be careful where you place them," Evans said. "A flame on a candle is a flame, and it will melt through at some point."