A man and his wife escaped injury early this morning by crawling out of their window and down a ladder after a fire broke out in their business.

Salt Lake firefighters were called about 4:20 a.m. to D and D Waste Control, 2815 W. Andrew Avenue (1504 South), and found light smoke coming from the large building, said Salt Lake Deputy Fire Chief Devin Villa.

Crews had difficulty gaining access into the building and had to cut a large metal overhead door to get in, he said. A second alarm was called as a precaution. Once inside, they found a motor home that was being stored in the business had caught fire.

Damage to the motor home was estimated at $180,000. Damage to the rest of the contents of the building, mainly smoke damage, was estimated at $50,000.

The company makes Dumpsters, but it also has a small bedroom on the second floor that the owners use as a home, Villa said. The husband and wife were home when the fire broke out and were able to escape safely.

An initial investigation showed a malfunction in the motor compartment of the vehicle, possibly a short, ignited the fire, he said.