SOUTH JORDAN — A 9-year-old girl suffered second-degree degree burns today after her shirt caught fire while she was cooking breakfast.

The accident happened about 7:15 a.m. at the girl's house near 2050 West and 13700 South. The young girl suffered burns over 20 percent of her body, mostly on the front of her torso, said Unified Fire Authority Capt. Jay Fearnley. She also suffered some first and second-degree burns on her arms and upper part of her legs.

The girl was flown by medical helicopter in good condition to the University of Utah's Burn Center.

Fearnley said the incident is a reminder for parents to always supervise their children when they cook and to have a fire extinguisher and working smoke detectors in the kitchen.

The girl's parents were home at the time of the accident but not in the kitchen.