TOOELE — Sheriff's deputies are investigating the death of a 61-year-old woman in a house fire in Tooele County's Rush Valley.

Authorities were called to a house fire about 2:30 a.m. Friday.

"What we think is the lady passed away on the couch, and she was smoking at the time," Tooele County Sheriff Frank Park told the Deseret News on Friday. "She had some health problems, and we think she passed away while lying down on the couch."

The still-burning cigarette lit the couch on fire, burning the lower half of Jodean Davis' body. Deputies said her husband discovered the fire, pulling her body off of the couch and dousing her with the kitchen faucet hose. Davis' son extinguished the couch.

Davis' family said she had been battling cancer for some time.