WASHINGTON (AP) — A senior Air Force acquisition official resigned Monday, less than two months after the surprise ousting of the service's top military and civilian leaders.

Kenneth E. Miller, who served as special assistant for Air Force acquisition under former Air Force Secretary Michael Wynne, has stepped down, according to service spokesman Lt. Col. Mike Paoli. Miller was expected to resign shortly after Wynne's departure last month, Paoli said.

But two congressional aides familiar with the matter said Miller was being investigated by the service for allegedly leaking information to the public before the government disclosed it. The aides requested anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly about the probe.

Paoli declined to comment on any internal Air Force investigation of Miller.

Wynne and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. Michael Moseley in early June submitted their resignations to Defense Secretary Robert Gates — who blamed both men for failing to fully address a series of nuclear-related mishaps.

Over the past year, the Air Force has been under intense scrutiny by U.S. lawmakers and the Pentagon's senior leadership over its ability to manage and handle its acquisition programs, including a disputed $35 billion contract for aerial refueling tankers awarded to Northrop Grumman Corp. and Airbus parent European Aeronautic Defence and Space Co. over Boeing Co.

In June, the Government Accountability Office released a scathing report detailing "significant errors" the Air Force made in its original award to the Northrop team, prompting many lawmakers to call for greater oversight of the Pentagon's acquisition process.

The Pentagon is moving forward with a limited rebid of the competition, and is expected to pick a winner by the end of the year.

Earlier Monday, Air Force logistics chief William Anderson resigned, saying the recent leadership shake-up impaired his ability to do his job.