PROVO Firefighters planned to mop up a fire on "Y" Mountain today and continue to fight a blaze near Bridal Veil Falls.
An Orem man and woman started the "Y" Mountain fire early Friday when they were setting off fireworks, fire officials said. It was the second fire of the night in the area, as firefighters were called to a blaze at Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon around 11:30 p.m. Thursday.
The "Y" Mountain fire was fully contained late Friday night, said Forest Service spokeswoman Kathy Jo Pollock. Firefighters were first called to the area near the large block letter "Y" just after 1 a.m. Friday. When they arrived, a man, 23, and a woman, 20, who witnesses said started the fire, were still on the mountain. The witnesses, who were on the trailhead and on the "Y," reported that the two had been setting off fireworks, Provo Fire Capt. Jim Guynn said.
The man and the woman both were arrested and booked into Utah County Jail for investigation of reckless burning, Guynn said.
Fireworks in the area around the "Y" are restricted for three different reasons, he said. First, the property belongs to the Forest Service and it is unlawful to ignite fireworks on any federal property. Second, the area is leased by Brigham Young University and the school prohibits fireworks. And third, fireworks are prohibited in the area due to an order of closure by the Provo fire marshal.
Guynn said Provo firefighters eventually turned control of the blaze over to Forest Service firefighters, who were using air and ground crews to fight the fire. He said the only other involvement for Provo would be his investigation.
Fire also destroyed the deserted restaurant above Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon late Thursday night and Friday morning, Pollock said. Forest Service dispatchers received the call about the fire at 11:30 p.m. Thursday night, but crews were still working on the fire late Friday. Pollock said the fire grew to 10 acres late Friday. The fire is above the structure in an area inaccessible to ground crews.
Crews were expected to fight the fire today with a helicopter that can carry 800 to 1,200 gallons of water each trip, she said.Another fire was started by fireworks in Provo, burning the side of a house and two vehicles. The fireworks had been placed in a plastic garbage can and doused with water, but Provo Fire Battalion Chief Tom Augustus said they had not been extinguished.
E-mail: [email protected]