OREM Fireworks set off by an Orem man and woman started a fire on "Y" Mountain early Friday morning, fire officials said.
Provo firefighters responded to the area near the large block letter "Y" just after 1 a.m. Friday. When firefighters arrived at the scene, a 23-year-old man and a 20-year-old woman, who witnesses said started the fire, were still on the mountain. The witnesses, who were on the trailhead and on the "Y," reported that the two had been setting off fireworks, Provo City Fire Capt. Jim Guynn said.
The man and the woman both were arrested and booked into Utah County Jail on investigation of reckless burning, Guynn said.
He said fireworks in the area around the "Y" are restricted for three different reasons. First, the property belongs to the Forest Service, and it is unlawful to ignite fireworks on any federal property. Second, the area is leased by Brigham Young University, and the school prohibits fireworks. And third, fireworks are prohibited in the area due to an order of closure by the Provo fire marshal.
Guynn said that, by 9 a.m., Provo firefighters had turned control of the blaze over to Forest Service firefighters, who were using aviation and ground crews to fight the fire. He said the only other involvement for Provo would be his investigation into the fire.
Kathy Jo Pollock of the Forest Service said there were about 40 firefighters still on the mountain around noon Friday. She said the blaze burned 10 acres, but it should be 100 percent contained by the end of the day.
While there were some houses and power lines nearby, none of those were threatened by the fire. She said planes and helicopters were involved in fighting the fire.
Fire also destroyed the deserted restaurant at the top of the mountain by Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon late Thursday night and Friday morning, Pollock said. The call came around 11:30 p.m., she said, but the fire was contained to just the building, not any vegetation around. Pollock said there was a helicopter working on the blaze.
Another fire was started by fireworks in Provo, burning the side of a house and two vehicles. The fireworks were placed in a plastic garbage can and doused with water, but Provo City Fire Battalion Chief Tom Augustus said they still smoldered and ignited the area.