Before becoming the Vernal, Utah, Temple, this building was known as the Uintah Stake Tabernacle, above. Dedicated in April 1907 by President Joseph F. Smith, the tabernacle was constructed with material from the surrounding Ashley Valley. In 1994, the First Presidency of the LDS Church announced that the tabernacle would become a temple, and a groundbreaking for the project was held in May 1995. The temple, below, was dedicated in November 1997. While substantial additions were made, it was the first time an existing building was reconstructed as a temple.
Then & Now photos: Added meaning
1 of 2
View 2 Items