1 of 2
Deseret News Archives

The Robert D. Covington home in Washington County, shown in 1971, was built of native Navajo sandstone in 1859 for Covington, who was directed by Brigham Young to lead 28 families to Washington and establish the 1857 "Cotton Mission." According to Utah State Divisions of Archives and History, it is the oldest remaining building in Utah's Dixie. It was placed on the Utah Historical Register in April 1978.