MIAMI The wife of Alex Rodriguez wants to know if the New York Yankees' star third baseman hired private detectives or installed wiretaps installed to spy on her.
Cynthia Rodriguez's lawyers demanded evidence of any such surveillance as part of a routine request filed in Miami-Dade Circuit Court last week in their divorce case.
The document asks for any tape recordings, photographs, reports from investigators or results from possible wiretaps "or other electronic surveillance conducted by you or others on your behalf."
Alex Rodriguez's attorney didn't immediately respond Tuesday to an e-mail seeking comment. The 32-year-old third baseman was scheduled to start in the All-Star game on Tuesday night in New York.
Cynthia Rodriguez filed for divorce last week after more than five years of marriage, citing her husband's alleged infidelity. She wants their $12 million waterfront mansion in Coral Gables, a luxury SUV, alimony and financial support for their two young daughters.
Alex Rodriguez has been linked in various tabloid reports to Madonna, though both have denied a romantic relationship. He has also been photographed out at night with a former Las Vegas stripper.
Rodriguez is in the first season of a 10-year, $275 million contract that makes him baseball's highest-paid player.
CHARGES DROPPED AGAINST RAYS RELIEVER: Prosecutors have dropped their case against Tampa Bay Rays pitcher Al Reyes, who was shocked with a Taser and charged after a bar fight in April.
Reyes' attorney, Robert Heyman, said Tuesday that his client was "certainly relieved."
Police say the 38-year-old reliever who was at a restaurant to celebrate his birthday fell against a ceramic pot in a bar, got up and picked a fight with a man he thought pushed him. Reyes issued a public apology after the fight.
Reyes was charged with being in a fight that disturbed the peace.
A State Attorney's Office spokeswoman says while prosecutors could not prove Reyes was a participant in the fight, a man who struck him is being prosecuted for battery.
DAMON, MATSUI REMAIN SIDELINED: Injured New York Yankees outfielders Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon could be sidelined longer than first expected.
And, in Matsui's case, it might be a lot longer.
His left knee swelled on Tuesday, increasing the possibility he will need season-ending surgery and perhaps giving the New York Yankees reason to contemplate signing Barry Bonds.
General manager Brian Cashman said Tuesday that Matsui was running out of options to rehabilitate his knee, which has sidelined him since June 22 and kept him from playing the outfield since June 15.
Matsui will travel to New York from the team's complex in Tampa, Fla., and is expected to be examined by team doctors Friday. His return this season appears increasingly unlikely.
Matsui did not hit Tuesday after experiencing additional discomfort in his sore left knee. The Yankees had hoped he might be ready to return when eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list on Friday.
Damon, eligible to be activated from the DL on Sunday, continues to have soreness in his injured left shoulder, and won't likely start hitting off a tee until at least late this week. He underwent treatment only on Tuesday.
"It feels a little better today," Damon said. "It still feels horrible waking up. I'm still kind of down because I know (Yankees manager Joe) Girardi wants to put me in the lineup on Sunday and I'm not sure we can do that."