TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Police in Florida say a faulty exhaust fan caused a fire that killed a 4-year-old girl at a Tallahassee day-care center.

Police spokesman David McCranie says the fan was in a bathroom at Stepping Stones day care.

Police have identified the child who died Friday as Gracie Chen, who was in the day care with nearly 40 children. The rest escaped safely.

Staff members were doing a head count when a 3-year-old friend raised her hand to say Gracie wasn't there.

She was found unconscious several minutes later and rushed to a hospital, where she was later pronounced dead. An autopsy was done Saturday, but authorities are awaiting test results before determining the cause of death.