MIDVALE There was a lot of smoke but not so much fire at a building under construction here this afternoon.
About 2:30 p.m. welders were working on the roof of a building near 7700 South and 500 West when sparks caught debris on the floor of the building on fire, said Midvale Fire Chief Stephen Higgins.
The fire spread fairly rapidly in the building, which was still in the early stages of construction. Foam material being used on the building caught fire, sending a huge plume of thick black smoke into the air.
"It looked very impressive," Higgins said.
The fire happened just off I-15, and the smoke caused motorists to slow to a near standstill on the freeway. But Higgins said the fire itself wasn't much.
The flames was put out quickly once firefighters arrived. Despite the heavy smoke, Higgins said there was limited damage to the building.