Chile: Nazi hunt renewed
SANTIAGO Representatives of a Jewish human rights organization arrived in Chile on Monday in a renewed hunt for former SS doctor Aribert Heim.
Efraim Zuroff, considered the top Nazi hunter of the Simon Wiesenthal Center, and Sergio Widder, the center's representative in Latin America, are to visit the Chilean southern city of Puerto Montt with other officials this week, and then travel across the Andes to the Argentine resort city of Bariloche.
Zuroff heads the center's Israeli office.
Heim tops the center's list of most-wanted Nazi war criminals.
China: 100M without siblings
BEIJING China now has more than 100 million people with no siblings since introducing rules in the late 1970s that limit many couples to only one child, a state news agency reported Monday.
China is the world's most populous country, with 1.3 billion people. The government says the one-child rule has prevented about 400 million births.
The 100 million-plus only children make up about 8 percent of China's population, Xinhua News Agency reported, citing information from a weekend forum hosted by the Shanghai Population Welfare Charity Fund.
Equatorial Guinea: Convicted
MALABO A court in Equatorial Guinea convicted former British officer Simon Mann on Monday of being the key player in a failed 2004 coup plot in this Central African nation and sentenced him to 34 years and four months in prison.
Judge Carlos Mangue upbraided the 55-year-old Briton, saying he "had failed to show an attitude of regret" despite his apology before the court. To underline his point, the judge gave Mann a prison sentence four years longer than the prosecution had asked for.
During the trial last week, Mann acknowledged that he knowingly took part in the attempt to topple the government. His lawyer, however, argued that Mann was a secondary player and not the author of the botched 2004 coup try.
Iraq: Mullen sees progress
BAGHDAD Iraq appears on track to establishing sustainable security a key step toward withdrawing U.S. troops the top U.S. military officer said Monday after visiting the newly quiet Sadr City section of the capital.
Adm. Michael Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters that important elements of a solution to the Iraqi war including reduced levels of sectarian violence, political reconciliation and stronger Iraqi forces are coming into view more than five years after the U.S. invasion.
He repeatedly stressed, however, that the improvements are fragile and could still be reversed.
Mexico: 6 bodies found
TIJUANA Police on Monday found six charred bodies on a Tijuana street following a bloody weekend that left 14 people dead.
Assistant Baja California state attorney Salvador Ortiz said the six unidentified men were shot dead early Monday morning and their corpses set on fire.
The state attorney's office also reported another eight men killed over the weekend in separate attacks.
The execution-style killings marked a resurgence in violence between feuding Tijuana drug cartels.
Myanmar: Cyclone visas OK'd
YANGON Myanmar's military regime has approved visas for more than 1,500 international aid workers to help victims of Cyclone Nargis, with half of them involved in relief operations in storm-hit regions, the state-media said Tuesday.
Foreign aid staffers were initially barred from cyclone-affected areas and the ruling junta was criticized for its sluggish response to the May 2-3 disaster, which killed 84,500 people and left nearly 54,000 missing.
Serbia: New government
BELGRADE Serbia's parliament approved a new government Monday that includes a pro-Western group and the political party of the late strongman Slobodan Milosevic.
Leaders of the coalition have pledged to speed up the Balkan country's integration into the European Union but also to continue fighting Kosovo's statehood. Kosovo was a cherished Serbian province before declaring independence in February with the support of Western powers.
South Korea: N-talks planned
SEOUL Negotiations on North Korea's nuclear program will resume this week for the first time in nine months, South Korea's nuclear envoy said Tuesday.
The talks had been on hold since October due to a dispute over North Korea's obligation to hand over a declaration of its nuclear program. Last month, Pyongyang turned in a partial declaration and destroyed the cooling tower at its main Yongbyon nuclear complex.
Host China was to announce that the six-nation talks which include China, Japan, Russia, the U.S. and the two Koreas would resume Thursday, Seoul's chief nuclear negotiator Kim Sook said before he departed to the Chinese capital for preparatory meetings.
The talks are expected to focus on how to verify the North's declaration.