A 12-year-old Magna boy was airlifted to the University of Utah Medical Center Friday evening after he suffered severe burns while trying to light a barbecue.

Unified Fire Authority spokesman Ben Sharer said the youth and a friend, another 12-year-old male, were attempting to light a barbecue with gasoline at a residence near 3700 South and 7700 West. The gasoline flared up and the boy suffered burns over 50 percent of his face.

Sharer said an adult was at the home at the time of the incident, shortly after 9 p.m. The other boy was not injured.

The boy's condition was serious-critical and he is being treated at the medical center's burn unit.