Sixteen new patents were awarded to Utah inventors on June 3:
• Sign-bearing road stand. Patrick H. Evans, Teresa A. Evans, both of Salt Lake City. Filed Sept. 10, 2002, claiming priority to provisional Patent Application No. 60/322,108, filed Sept. 10, 2001. Patent No. 7,380,360.
• Air-conditioning system. Thomas D. Harrison, Draper. Filed Feb. 26, 2007, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,380,405.
• Lower side pillar passenger inflatable safety-restraint assembly. Larry D. Rose, South Weber; Jesse R. Crookston, North Ogden. Assigned to Autoliv ASP Inc., Ogden. Filed Apr. 5, 2004. Patent No. 7,380,815.
• High-pressure connection. David R. Hall, John V. Fernandez, both of Provo. Filed Oct. 26, 2005. Patent No. 7,380,841.
• Conveyer system for rail-car unloading apparatus and method. Lloyd Ash, Pleasant Grove. Assigned to Ashross LLC., Pleasant Grove. Filed Jan. 7, 2005, claiming priority to provisional Patent Application No. 60/534,944, filed Jan. 8, 2004. Patent No. 7,381,023.
• Air-driven novelty item. Greg L. Symes, Taylorsville. Filed Sept. 3, 2004, claiming priority to provisional Patent Application No. 60/500,752, filed Sept. 5, 2003. Patent No. 7,381,112.
• Trench gate FETs with reduced gate to drain charge. Bruce D. Marchant, Murray; Ashok Challa, Sandy. Assigned to Fairchild Semiconductor Corp., South Portland, Maine. Filed April 26, 2005. Patent No. 7,382,019.
• Systems and methods for area activity monitoring and personnel identification. Keith W. Brendley, McLean, Va.; Jed Marti, Salt Lake City; William Virnig, Salt Lake City. Assigned to Artis LLC, Reston, Va. Filed Jan. 31, 2005. Patent No. 7,382,267.
• Wired tool string component. David R. Hall, Scott Dahlgren, Paul Schramm, all of Provo. Filed May 31, 2006, a continuation-in-part of Patent No. 7,277,026, filed May 21, 2005. Patent No. 7,382,273.
• System and method for electronic road signs with in-car display capabilities. Gregory Jensen Boss, American Fork; Rick Allen Hamilton II, Charlottesville, Va.; Alexandre Polozoff, Bloomington, Ill.; Timothy Moffett Waters, Hiram, Ga. Assigned to International Business Machine Corp., Armonk, N.Y. Filed Feb. 21, 2006. Patent No. 7,382,276.
• X-ray tube cathode with reduced unintended electrical field emission. Erik C. Bard, Orem; Charles R. Jensen, American Fork; Shaun P. Ogden, Pleasant Grove; Steven D. Liddiard, Provo. Assigned to Moxtek Inc., Orem. Filed Sept. 28, 2006, claiming priority to provisional Patent Application No. 60/722,738, filed Sept. 30, 2005. Patent No. 7,382,862.
• Comparison of Web-site visitation data sets generated from using different navigation tools. Catherine Jen Wong, Provo; Christopher Reid Error, Brett Michael Error, both of Orem. Assigned to Omniture Inc., Orem. Filed July 18, 2006, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,383,334.
• Preselecting E/M line replacement technique for a snoop filter. Lily P. Looi, Kai Cheng, Faye A. Briggs, all of Portland, Ore.; Liqun Cheng, Salt Lake City. Assigned to Intel Corp., Santa Clara, Calif. Filed March 31, 2006. Patent No. 7,383,398.
• Nested strong loader apparatus and method. Roger R. Schell, Orem; Kevin W. Kingdon, San Mateo, Calif.; Thomas A. Berson, Palo Alto, Calif. Assigned to Novell Inc., Provo. Filed Oct. 24, 2002, claiming priority to multiple prior patent applications. Patent No. 7,383,442.
• Directing process for use in sending trick-mode video streams with a high performance. Jahan Shah Fakharzadeh, Park City. Assigned to Unisys Corp., Blue Bell, Pa. Filed May 7, 2002. Patent No. 7,383,565.• Hose connector. Dennis Brown, Logan. Assigned to Aquamira Technologies Inc., Logan. Filed Aug. 8, 2007. Design Patent No. D570,457.
Karl R. Cannon is a Registered Patent Attorney and a founding shareholder in the Salt Lake area law firm of Clayton, Howarth & Cannon P.C., specialists in patent, trademark and copyright law. He may be contacted at 801-255-5335 or by e-mail at [email protected]. Copies of patents are available by mail for $3 each from U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Box 9 (Copy Sales), Washington, DC 20231; by credit card via telephone 703-308-9726 or toll free 800-972-6382; facsimile 703-305-8759; or e-mail [email protected]. Patents can also be viewed and printed free of charge from several Internet sites, including www.uspto.gov or www.delphion.com.