1 of 6
Stuart Johnson, Deseret News
Officers work the scene of an officer-involved shooting in Lehi Monday morning. Lehi Police Capt. Harold Terry was shot and critically injured following a traffic stop near 1000 E. Main St.

LEHI — What began as a routine traffic stop of a suspected impaired driver today led to a dramatic shooting in downtown Lehi that left a woman dead and a police captain critically injured.

Lehi Police Sgt. Darren Paul said the female driver in a Honda Accord was pulled over by Capt. Harold Terry at about 8:52 a.m. today at 1000 E. Main St. As the officer approached her car, she shot him twice in the head. Three other officers responding as backup returned fire, killing her.

Terry, 55, was flown by helicopter to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center in critical but stable condition and underwent surgery late this morning to remove the bullet and shrapnel fragments. The other slug entered his head just above the left ear and exited behind his left ear.

Close to two dozen police vehicles were at the scene of the shooting, which happened east of the One Man Band's Diner in the heart of downtown.

Paul said the captain, who has 16 years in with the Lehi Police Department, initiated the traffic stop after an employee at Walker's Gas Station, 850 E. Main St., called emergency dispatchers.

The employee told dispatchers the woman had slurred speech and poor balance when she came into the business to pay for gas, Paul said.

As the captain approached the Honda Accord, the woman fired two shots from a .38-caliber revolver, Paul said. Terry was able to get one shot off before he collapsed. Three backup officers arrived within minutes of the traffic stop in time to hear the shots fired and watch their colleague go down.

Paul said the officers immediately returned fire, killing the woman. A total of five shots were fired by those officers.

Paul said little is known about the woman — who was 34 — other than the car she was driving had Washington state plates. He did say she lived in Provo, where she attended school and had no criminal history.

Although Terry was shot in the head, Paul said officials are optimistic of his chances of recovery. Paul said Terry was talking at the scene with emergency responders.

Paul said the captain as well as the responding officers followed protocols in the shooting, which will be reviewed by the Utah County Attorney's Office and a multi-jurisdictional team of investigators.

An autopsy will be conducted and officials are also awaiting toxicology results to determine if she was under of the influence of medications or alcohol.

The three officers will be debriefed and likely receive counseling, Paul added.

E-mail: [email protected]