MANILA, Philippines — Flash floods and landslides killed at least 12 people in the southern Philippines early Saturday as Typhoon Fengshen slammed into the region causing widespread damage.

Ten people drowned after a swollen river overflowed its banks and swept away three houses in a riverside village in South Upi township in southern Maguindanao province, provincial administrator Norie Unas said. Five others were missing.

In nearby Cotabato city, a 50-year-old man and his 10-year-old grandson were killed when a landslide buried their hillside shanty, Mayor Muslimin Sema said.

Officials said neck-deep flood waters forced the evacuation of 200 families in Sultan Kudarat township in southern Shariff Kabunsuan province, near Cotabato city.

Mayor Ernesto Concepcion said three people were missing in flash floods in Alamada township, in Cotabato province.

The typhoon packed sustained winds of 88 miles per hour and gusts of up to 106 mph when it made landfall near the southern tip of Samar island southeast of Manila late Friday.

Officials ordered the evacuation Friday of more than 117,000 people from areas prone to floods and landslides in Albay. But many returned home by midday Saturday after the typhoon missed the area.

The typhoon maintained its strength as it moved northwest toward the southern part of Mindoro island. The weather bureau raised the second highest storm alert for nine provinces in the area.

The National Disaster Coordinating Council reported flooding, landslides and power outages caused by toppled power pylons in many areas in the central Philippines.

Big waves prompted the coast guard to stop ferry services, stranding hundreds of passengers traveling to central islands, NDCC said.

Airport authorities said 89 flights to and from the central Philippines had been canceled because of the typhoon.