Geoffrey McAllister, Deseret News
Salt Lake police arrested Terryette Woods on Friday in connection with an attempted kidnapping of two young girls from the Salt Lake Library Wednesday. Woods was taken to the Salt Lake County Jail.

A woman accused of attempting to kidnap two young girls from the Salt Lake Main Library Wednesday was arrested Friday near the library.

Terryette Woods, 51, was spotted near the TRAX station on 400 South across from the library and arrested without incident. She was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of two counts of kidnapping, a first-degree felony.

About 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, a woman approached two sisters, 8 and 5, inside the library, grabbed their wrists and started walking toward the exit. Just as the 8-year-old was about to yell for help, they spotted a security guard. The woman let go of the children's wrists and continued walking out the door.

The woman was spotted near the TRAX station a short time later by another library security guard. He thought, however, that it could have been a man dressed in drag. After reviewing surveillance video from the library, however, Salt Lake police detective Jeff Bedard said another security guard recognized the woman as someone who frequently hung out at the library and the surrounding area.

Investigators knew the woman's name Thursday night and began looking for her, Bedard said.

After she was arrested and taken to Salt Lake police headquarters for questioning, she was taken to a patrol car that transported her to jail. While being led out to the car, Woods told reporters that none of the witnesses to the crime would be able to identify her.

"They can't identify me because I didn't do it," she said.. "I wasn't even there."

Woods, originally from St. Louis, also told reporters that she had kids of her own.

Bedard said, however, that detectives had conducted a "thorough" investigation, and based on witness statements and other evidence, there is sufficient probable cause to arrest her.

"We've talked to everybody we believe has information or knowledge on this case," he said.

Woods was arrested in July 2007 for investigation of abusing the 911 emergency system, according to investigators.

E-mail: [email protected]