PROVO Fear apparently delayed the reporting of an alleged aggravated kidnapping and aggravated assault that left a woman with her eyes swollen shut. She also was unable to eat for days.
A woman came forward in April to report that on Feb. 4, her husband had assaulted her as they were riding in a friend's car, causing significant injuries, according to an affidavit filed in 4th District Court.
Her friend in the car told police he thought her injuries were potentially "disfiguring" and said they were forced to drive through Utah, Juab, Millard and Sanpete counties for nearly nine hours in an attempt to prohibit the male friend from reporting the assault, according to the affidavit.
The husband also took the man's cell phone to prevent any calls to police, according to the affidavit.
Utah County sheriff's deputies had been investigating the case since April and Wednesday finished enough of the investigating to present the allegations to the husband, 28, who is already in the Utah County Jail on other allegations, said Utah County Sheriff's Lt. Yvette Rice.
"It's taken so long to amass the information because of the delayed response," Rice said. "To gather the evidence takes more time, find other victims, witnesses. Where it's delayed you just can't go and arrest somebody without amassing documents to substantiate."
The friend in the car told police that during the incident he felt he could be assaulted at any time and that he was not free to leave.
The man's bail in this case is set at $25,000 cash-only. He will be in court again on June 19 at 8:30 a.m.